Sunday, February 3, 2013

I have a lot of updates

I'm sorry I didn't not get a chance to email you yesterday.  A lot of CHANGES were made in the mission and a lot of those changes impacted me!

I am in a opening a new area and training! I am in the Westerchester 2nd Branch with Sister Awerkamp from St. George Utah.  She is awesome! I love her already.  She is very prepared and we're tackling all the changes together.  We also get to drive a car! Yesterday after the upstate transfers I was THRILLED to be in our car! It was so bizarre because I haven't driven in 11 months! I am the designated driver so I will be doing a lot of driving.  The GPS knows the area better than we do! hahah
We had ten new sisters come into the mission yesterday.  
Our mission president said that the 17 missionaries are just the first of the 89 that will arrive in the next 11 weeks!!! Talk about being a part of church history lol  We also live in the same apartment building as two of the senior couple missionaries and the traveling sisters! We've got support all around us. 

It's funny training in a new area because I keep having to answer all of Sister Awerkamp's questions, "Well in the city..." I told her we will figure it out together and I know she's excited to get to work.  The dynamics of being out of the city are completely different than in the city.  At this point it feels like a car is more of a hassle than the trains and buses were, but I'm trying to remember they are different. One is not necessarily better but there are pros and cons to both.  I'm excited to meet the branch here.  It sounds like a great group of people.

At transfers a lot of other missionaries kept telling my new companion how amazing I am and how she's going to have so much fun. She heard comments like she'll have to keep up with me and your companion is crazy! hahaha it was really cool though to see what my beloved fellow missionaries said to her because it made me feel really good. It's an honor to realize they think so highly of me. Which is exactly how I feel about them.  

We're emailing today so you know we're alive, or rather so her family knows she's alive :)
Today we're going to drive to our area which covers Sleepy Hallow, Tarrytown, Irvington, and half of Elmsford
Last night we had dinner with two of the elders and our old branch mission leader.  Tonight we are going to have dinner with the elders and our new branch mission leader. This is the first time english speaking sisters have left the city.  There is our area and an area in Connecticut.  I'm excited to work hard and build up this area. I know the Lord called us here for a reason and we have very deep faith that he will show us what He needs us to do.

President Morgan also gave us permission to return to the city for Brendan's baptism next week! I'm very excited about that =)
I don't remember much about what happened this past week.  
I found out I was leaving and white washing (opening a new area) last Thursday. From Thursday-Tuesday we had a few scheduled appointments and I did a lot of packing. That Thursday everyone in my apartment found out they were training!
Sister Lavaki is training in Harlem, Sister Broderick is training in the East Side, Sister Woo is training and returning to Chinatown, and I'm training and opening a new area at the same time.

Friday we had a meeting for those who would be training and we focused on some key things that would impact our effectiveness as a trainer.  Thus far I feel I have been able to implement that into our companionship.  I have also felt the spirit in rich abundance as we've talked and shared with one another, especailly with different aspects of the work.
Last night when we were driving to our old branch mission leaders place it was dark and rainy. I decided I do not like driving in those conditions in a new area that I don't know at all! haaha.
Anyhow, please keep us in your prayers. We will need the Lord's help in everything that we do. I feel peace however because I know like Nephi the Lord will provide a way...even when I don't understand, I can be led by the spirit.

1 Nephi 3
 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

1 Nephi 4
 And I was aled by the Spirit, not bknowing beforehand the things which I should do.

I love you very much! Thank you for your support at this time in my life.

Sincerely,
Sister Emily Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment