Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oct 11th- Oct 17th

I love emailing you once a week!
It is so fun to feel like I am connected to love ones at home. I also have a chance to reflect on the many ways I see the Lord bless my life and it is such a great reminder to look at how the Lord has played a part in my week.

Let me just say this is going to be an interesting email for the week because the majority of the week I was sick with a cold and didn't do much but rest. Yet the past day or so as I've regained my health have been way cool! I'm on a spiritual high right now because today in particular I have seen how brilliant the Lord is!
Before I recap on my week and tell about the miracles of today I want to mention how much I love my companion Sister Maldarizzi! <3

ALRIGHT!

Thursday October 11th 
I could tell I was getting sick. Highlight of the day was at a dinner appointment with one of our members and her boyfriend who is not a member of the church. Why was that the highlight? For a few reasons, the main one being he designs playgrounds! Anyone who has talked to me about my interests, hobbies, and future possibilities since I've returned home from London may know I am considering playground equipment design! 
Anyhow I thought it was incredible. I've never met anyone who does that. It was neat to get the inside scoop on the process. He gave me some neat websites and companies to check out! We're hoping to teach him more about the gospel. I'd say we have a great connection going so far! haha. I don't actually know him that well yet, but he seems super nice and I was just so happy that he designs playgrounds and parks! Who knew that the Lord could bring people together with something as unique as that?

Friday the 12th 
I was officially sick! We had a lesson with Jose and it went really well =) He is excited to get baptized later this month and he accepted the commandments really well. I am so grateful I've been able to teach him about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. After we left there it was clear to me that I needed to lay down. On our way to the train so we could head home there were some gorgeous collage paintings leaning against a table. I was in love! The art was just my style. Later the artist Carlito came over with some more. We got talking to him about his work. I love his process! He burns photography into silk screens. He was super friendly and used to meet with missionaries before. We got his info and I gave him a Book of Mormon and wrote a message in the front of it about how much it has influenced my life and my passions (my art! believe it or not lol) for the better. He was happy to accept it and I told him I might want to collaborate ideas and work in the future! He was very much on board with that. I love that I am able to share the greatest gift god has given me, which is the knowledge that I am a child of god and I have a purpose here on earth, and in return I am also able to network and meet some incredible individuals. What a blessing!

Saturday the 13th
I was way sick but we still went to our lunch appointment. One of the roommates named Toby played a two songs for us on the viola!
It was really cool to see how the instrument could come alive. His performance for us when we were there inspired the angle I took on the spiritual thought. I talked about how the Gospel is something that is so beautiful and sweet that we want to turn it up and share it with the world. Also that we don't need to worry how others will perceive it or feel about it because just as music can instantly communicate feelings to our heart, the spirit can instantly communicate with our spirit or soul. We can just feel it.Also in life there are dissonances that we want to be resolved. They may even feel uncomfortable at times but the opposition is what makes the music so sweet. And just like the resolve of orchestra it is going to be in the master's time. After all this is Heavenly Father's masterpiece and he knows when the that perfect moment is. He is creating something more complex and beautiful than we can see or always understand. Thus we need to trust his and in his timing.

Sunday the 14th
I was VERY sick this day haha but it's ok because we decided it'd be my recovery day. I pretty much rested all day which really helped a lot. Also Elder Topham, who I served with the whole time I was in the Bronx is now in Harlem, came over with his companion to give me a blessing.

I am short on time today so next week I will write about what happened Monday.

Oh and yesterday I found out our mission will get to hear Elder D. Todd Christopherson speak to us this Saturday!!!

Today was fabulous!
We went to the temple this morning! It was such a sweet experience. I felt closer to Heavenly Father than I ever have before. I know the mission is stretching my brain and my spirit in so many wonderful ways! It's just crazy. I wrote like five pages in my journal right after. It was a tender experience I will truly cherish. Next week I will try to tell you a little more about why it was so special to me.
After that we went on a quest to find Bath and Body works on Lexington and 44th. My companion loves their products but had never been to their store. We went to time square to be on 44th and then we were going to take the bus over to Lexington. After waiting about 15 minutes we decided to walk. We say some really cool things and took a lot of pictures! "Randomly" we decided to go into the make up store Safora. I had never been in there. It was incredible though because right once we got in there we ran into a man we met about a week and a half ago who I know God wanted us to meet! It was the guy who I gave a Book of Mormon to that we met while seeing four not in service buses go by. 
It was crazy running into him! But it was truly incredible!!! I know God put him in our path. We were able to talk to him and he is so prepared for the gospel it is incredible! We got his address and more information to give to the elders in Brooklyn. It was such a serial experience to reflect on with my companion because there are thousands of people in NY city and he's lives in Brooklyn! Yet we ran right into him!!! The Lord is so talented. His timing is incredible it is too much for my simple mind to be able to understand. Wow. Incredible. 
It really opened my eyes to how much the spirit can prompt even the littlest of decisions. That is a miracle that I can not deny!

I love you all!
I will write more next week. 
Tomorrow we have interviews with our mission president. I'm looking forward to that =)

Sincerely,
Sister Emily A. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment