Monday, July 1, 2013

Only 9 more emails, you should enjoy each one! lol



I'm not sure if that's exactly right but it's something like that! 
Not that I'm trunky (thinking only about home) it's more the fact that I wanted to think of a cool subject line! I'm a dork I know =)
Last week I forgot to tell you NEWSIES was AMAZING!!!! I loved it!!! Seriously I would go see it 50 more times if I could. In fact when my parents come out here to visit I would love to take them to that show =) The acting, singing, DANCING, and Set/use of props was incredible! 
This past week I had the opportunity to go on a split. Sister Lotulelei is a Sister Training Leader and she goes on splits with each companionship in our area for training purposes. It's similar to the elders. It is a way to oversee the needs and training of the sisters in the mission and offers support and encouragement. I went with her companion Sister Diehl in their area. She is a sweet heart! I really enjoyed the time that we were together because we got to share why we chose to come on missions. She asked me a lot of questions about the work and my opinion about different aspects of it. I felt honored and helpful.  We also quoted Brian Reegan and shared a lot of laughs!
I started reflecting about if I am called as a Sister Training Leader for my last transfer since Lotu is finishing her mission and I'll be the oldest sister in the zone. I would love it! I think it'd be a great way for me to use the experience I've gained to help the work of different areas. Plus if I am a training leader I'll need to set the example =)  So I'll keep you posted on that. If I have the opportunity to serve in that way I'll find out the weekend before transfers (July 6th or 7th).
The work is definitely picking up! Our schedules are filling in and I love it!
Saturday we unsplit at 9:50am so I could be with my companion for a lesson with Nadine. We taught the plan of salvation and considering her boyfriend past away a few months ago, I felt the spirit teaching that lesson =)  Saturday-Tuesday we have basically had full schedules. We've gone from appointment to appointment without too much time to spare.  That's the greatest way to do missionary work!  I am feeling so blessed by the Lord! 
The worldwide leadership broadcast on Sunday was INCREDIBLE! If you missed it PLEASE check it out online! I cried like the whole time haha, but it's because I was feeling the spirit so strong! The spirit taught me a few things when I was watching it. I'm so grateful for how many miracles the Lord has poured upon us these past few days because I've been having a really hard time with my companion. She is so great and has such righteous desires but when she gets frustrated with herself she shuts down and wont talk and I can just feel contention and I can't help but feel it's towards me. As days have gone on I've recognized it is not always because of me, but even still it has been really hard! I know that the Lord is teaching me wonderful things. I know I am learning how to work with other people. 
I love this work! I know the Lord has shown me many miracles in my life and during my mission. I know that if I remain faithful and endure with patience, long-suffering, and humility He will continue to show me many more miracles in my life!

Lately I've started studying and been intrigued by Faith. 
It's such a simple thing yet difficult to apply at times.  
To paint the picture for what I have been pondering about faith I would like to reference two scriptures and a general conference talk.
  • 3 Nephi 17:7-8
  • Mark 5:25-34
  • "Lord, I Believe" by Jeffery R. Holland, April 7th 2013 General Conference
3 Nephi 17:7-8  Christ has just come to the Americas...
Have ye any that are asick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or bleprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will cheal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy.
 For I perceive that ye desire that I should show unto you what I have done unto your brethren at Jerusalem, for I see that your afaith is bsufficient that I should heal you.
Mark 5:25-34 
25 And a certain woman, which had an aissue of blood twelve years,
 26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,
 27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his agarment.
 28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.
 29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.
 30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that avirtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?
 31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
 32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.
 33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.
 34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy afaith hath made thee whole; go in bpeace, and be whole of thy plague.
"Lord, I Believe"
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/04/lord-i-believe?lang=eng 
“If thou canst do any thing,” he said, “have compassion on us, and help us.
“Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
“And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.”1
I would say to all who wish for more faith, remember this man! In moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited. In the growth we all have to experience in mortality, the spiritual equivalent of this boy’s affliction or this parent’s desperation is going to come to all of us. When those moments come and issues surface, the resolution of which is not immediately forthcoming, hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes.

The size of your faith or the degree of your knowledge is not the issue—it is the integrity you demonstrate toward the faith you do have and the truth you already know.

Hope on. Journey on. Honestly acknowledge your questions and your concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that believe.
  
The scripture in 3 Nephi 17 I often ask those I'm teaching, 
"Who did Christ come to heal?" "What does it mean to be afflicted?" "What qualifies us to be healed?"
I testify that Christ has come to heal all of us. It doesn't matter what sickness or affliction we have. If we are afflicted in any manner He will heal us! This includes physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, etc. He descended below it all. He is our Savior!  What qualifies us for his healing? We need to come hither... come forward... come unto Him! We also need to have the faith to be healed.  

As for the woman with the issue of blood we learn in verse 34 that her faith is what made her whole. She had so much faith in Christ that even though she was on the ground in the midst of so many people and all she could do was reach after him and touch the hem of his robe, it is her faith in Christ that made her whole.  Sometimes all we can do is reach out! Maybe we don't have the strength to stand and follow Him... but whatever we can do to come unto Him, well that is exactly what we should do.

Finally, Elder Holland teaches many powerful truths! He teaches us how to remain faithful even when we are trying to make sense of this earthly experience.
I am learning in a deeper way the role the spirit plays in us strengthening our faith. When I asked our member at a dinner appointment yesterday how she's been able to strengthen her faith and trust in Christ. She said She feels His love when He prays. She also receives personal revelation when she studies the scriptures. These indicate the role the spirit is playing in her ability to feel closer to Christ. I know I have a testimony of many aspects of the gospel. I have felt the spirit teach me these truths. 
I would exhort each of us to remember Elder Holland's words and demonstrate integrity to the faith you do have and the things you do know.
I know that all things are possible to those who believe.
Wont we please make a greater effort to let Christ heal us?! Let Him heal us. Let Him make us whole. Why would we want to remain broken and fallen? Come unto Him with whatever faith you do have.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I love you!
Sincerely,
Sister Emily Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment